Healthy snacks for people on the go
This lovely little oddity comes to us courtesy of a food co-op in Madison, Wisconsin some 30 years ago, along with the slogan, “Power to the Beeple”. My sweetie told me about these “beeple bars”, and with a little experimenting, we reinvented the recipe. It’s basically a nut and protein bar with protein powder, honey and lecithin to bind it together. There are endless variations on a theme, some with more or less sweetener. If you want to go with peanut butter, no-salt peanut butter is best, especially the grind-your-own from PCC, Whole Foods or your local co-op grocer.
- Nut butter – peanut, almond, macadamia
- Whey protein powder
- Cocoa powder, and maybe some chocolate chips
- Binding agent – honey, lecithin (not sweet), molasses or agave syrup (lower sugar)
- Optional – dried fruit, coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- Blend the nut butter with honey and lecithin
- Add WPI protein powder (chocolate flavored is good, or plain), and cocoa.
Use your hands to smooth it all together . It’s all kinds of messy and gooey, but by hand is the best way to mix all the ingredients. Keep mixing until it has the texture of a moist dough, all stuck together.
- If it’s too dry, add more lecithin
- If it’s too moist, add more protein powder
- Take the ‘dough’, make a one inch ball, roll it in coconut and refrigerate.
- Roll out a bar, add some raisons, wrap in wax paper or foil, keep in the refrigerator until ready to add to your day pack.
- Add chocolate chips
- For a desert treat, dip in chocolate
- For some ‘snap’ add rice crispies
- I particularly like blending a couple of nut butters together like peanut butter/almond butter or macadamia/pecan
These snacks are tasty and nutritious, and best of all, you know all the ingredients that went into them.
Hello from Tucson Arizona (USA) oh my goodness, I cannot believe I found this recipe!! I am originally from Madison Wisconsin and I remember as a child going to this coop and eating these yummy Beeple Bars, 🙂 I am in the midst of opening my own little chocolate shop and I thought what fun it’d be to incorporate a beeple centered chocolate! Thank you for including this on your website and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for today. No such thing as coincidence, eh? I Am really enjoying your content. Thank you again!
Kim, I am so very happy you remember the Beeple Bars. Best of luck with your chocolate shop. Maybe you’ll add these to the treats you sell.